New microblogging features
If you’re familiar with popular social networking sites, you’ll feel right at home using the new microblogging features, which allow you to engage in conversations in your Newsfeed.
With microblogging, you can:
- Post to a newsfeed on a team site, shared with a select group of people.
- Refer to other people in your posts using @mention. People are notified when they are mentioned in a post. You can quickly view all posts in which others have mentioned you.
- Include tags in newsfeed posts. You can quickly view all conversations that reference that tag.
- Share entire conversations by sending a link.
- “Like” posts in your newsfeed. People following you see posts you “liked” in their newsfeeds. You can use the Likes view to find these posts easily later.
- Include pictures, videos, links to documents, and web URLs in your posts. You can modify web URLs to display as text.
More ways to share documents or sites
This release provides more options for sharing documents and sites:
- You can now store personal documents in a single, personal library, accessible from anywhere — your OneDrive for Business. This takes the place of sorting documents into either “Shared Documents” or “Private Documents.” All documents in the library are initially private until you decide to share them.
- Use the new Share command to quickly share documents or sites. You can invite people to share specific documents and control what they can do with them (read, write, and so on). You can also use the Share control to:
- Share a document or site with a select group of people through a “selective people” link. Quickly find out who’s sharing a document or site.
- Send a personalized email invitation when you share a document or site.
- Receive alerts in your newsfeed whenever a document gets updated.
- You can also use your mobile device to share a document or folder in a library.
Features for maintaining user profiles
User profiles in SharePoint Server 2013 are similar to those in earlier releases, with the following notable improvements:
- Navigation is streamlined so that you can more easily switch between different areas of your profile, and the profiles of other people when you visit them.
- Sharing options for all fields are now simplified to include “Everyone” or “Only Me.”
- Newsfeed settings (“Activities I want to share” and “People I follow”) are turned off by default for privacy reasons. You must manually turn on the activities you want to share. However, conversations and email notifications are turned on by default.